"For Zion's sake will I not hold my peace, and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest, until the righteousness thereof go forth as brightness, and the salvation thereof as a lamp that burneth." (Isaiah 62:1)

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

He Chose Us

"According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love." (Ephesians 1:4)

To my brethren out there who still believe that we chose our own salvation, I might want to risk sounding offensive by saying that's rather egotistic.

The Truth is, on our own, we have no ability to save ourselves.


-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Dear Grim reaper
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:28:31 +0800
From: Wei-Yee Chan
Organization: Google Inc.
To: Fred A. Miller


Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On 12/08/2009 06:05 AM, Wei-Yee Chan wrote:
> EVERYONE "fits" into His plan because he knows what we will do LONG
> before we do "it." To understand the "elect" we need to understand that
> God knows what we're going to do....if we will choose Christ or not, LONG
> before that choice (acceptance or rejection) is ever made. He doesn't
> choose
> who will or won't, but simply KNOWS in advance who will and who won't. We
> are to continue our work NOT knowing what he knows.
>
> Fred
> --
I beg to differ. That's what I thought in the past too, but I was
wrong. God chose us. On our own, we're just like drowning people who
can't save themselves.

http://mb-soft.com/believe/txn/elect.htm

Here's some food for thought: How can sinful people ever make the right
choice without any divine intervention from God?

It's partially right to say He knows who will be saved, but it's not the
entire Truth. He knows because He chose us. (John 15:16)


Related:

Is the Doctrine of Election Biblical?

Misunderstandings of the Doctrine of Election

1 comment:

Wei-Yee Chan said...

Do I deserve any credit for doing what is my duty?  (James 2:24).  I've said it many times to you over email - Christianity isn't about scoring brownie points. Even more so, it's not about who's smarter or more knowledgeable, for even someone who knows the Gospel could well be damned.  A person is saved by grace, not by works.  (Ephesians 2:8-9)

Why do I do what I do?  Pagans, goats and vomit are none of my concern, but sheep are. (Matthew 25:31-46)